Mike Leader© 2017 All Rights Reserved

A history of Blackheath Bluecoat School


1700 ~ 2014
Home Greenwich Blue Coat School 1700 St John's National School Blackheath & Kidbrooke School Blackheath Bluecoat School School Archives Contact Home Greenwich Blue Coat School 1700 St John's National School Blackheath & Kidbrooke School Blackheath Bluecoat School School Archives Contact Blackheath Bluecoat School 2014 School Closed after 312 years <Back

Blackheath Bluecoat School closed it doors to pupil for the last time on 31 July 2014. Despite a vigorous campaign and a public consultation which was 91% in favour of keeping the school open; despite the amazing academic improvement demonstrated by the school’s best ever public examination results in 2013, the Council of the Royal Borough of Greenwich remained implacably determined to close the school.

On 21 June 2014 an event was held called “Finale” to celebrate the long history of the school and give thanks for the hundreds of pupils who benefited from its work. There was a Thanksgiving Service led by the Bishop of Woolwich, the Right Reverend Dr Michael Ipgrave OBE and attended by the Queen’s representative Deputy Lieutenant of London, Dr Peter van der Merwe MBE and many guests, ex staff members and past pupils. This was followed by an open afternoon when visitors could look round the school. About 1300 people attended, mainly past pupils.

Pictured after the Service of Thanksgiving on 21 June 2014
(from left to right) Barnaby Ash (Headteacher), The Rev’d Lix Newman (School Chaplain), Emmanuel Ogunsola (Head Boy), The Rt Rev’d Dr Michael Ipgrave OBE (Bishop of Woolwich), Dr Peter van der Merwe MBE, DL (Deputy Lieutenant of London, Queen’s representative)